Monday, January 21, 2013

Casting light Part: 2 (two days before)

   Man it is way to early for a saturday. We sit in the car half asleep waiting for our other group member to show up; she's not late, it's just to early without coffee for me to focus on the assignment that needs to be completed today. I take in the scenery surrounding the location of where we are doing the assignment. The Battleship sits across the river, cold, tranquil, and strong. It strikes me, the sharp textures that make this beautiful ship. The metal outer structure that holds her together makes for interesting shadows on the opposite side of the ship. The sharp features naturally cast dark and rigid shadows.
   It was so elegant, the way the shape of all the protruding features on the ship intermingled with the shadows that blended with them. Like a dark and deceiving dance between the architecture and light.
The early morning sun was the director and the ship the cinematographer playing with the position of the light and the effect it wanted to create.
   Then, it gave me a very disturbing feeling. As beautiful this game of shadows and objects was, it was almost reminiscent of the lost lives and terrible things this ship has seen. Even though it was lucky to now be retired, the shadows almost emitted the dark memories that haunted that ship.
   I'm sure that boat would have stories to tell. The light just exposed that there are dark and hidden memories of war and death. It made me think of my sick grandfather, how he always told the most interesting stories of war. He always painted an amazing scenery with his words, it's one of the things that inspired me to be a film maker. But like this ship, in his sickness came the darker stories. Sometimes they were the best and most interesting. Like the sickness casted a light on the old memories like the sun does on this ship I see before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment