Monday, January 21, 2013

Casting light Part: 1

   As I sit here in the Charlotte airport waiting on my flight to Nashville, I sit thinking about the flight from Wilmington to here. The morning started off somber and quiet. It wasn't until I was boarding the plane that I noticed the days first light barely touching the horizon. I took my seat and closed my eyes waiting to take off. Just after we took off the plane took a sharp left turn and I opened my eyes. The sun had officially risen over the landscape and the orange glow of light radiated through the windows casted a very calm and intimate light on the adjacent side of the cabin. I smiled, who knew a light could brighten the mood at the beginning of a long day of traveling.
   As I observed the light in that single instance, I turned my head to see the sun still slightly dipped below the horizon of the earth. The cinematographer in me examined it and questions began scattering through my head. If I was filming this, would my white balance be 4600K? What would my light meter read on the wall of the cabin? Geez, am I that much of a nerd that I think of these things outside of sets or class?
   I turned my head back to the light, it was peaceful. The orange glowing light made me calm. In that moment it wasn't about my inner cinematographer or the death of my grandfather, but how the single beauty of a ray of the sun could put a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment